The mission of the Big Walnut Local Schools is to inspire and guide
each student to his or her maximum potential.
In order to accomplish our mission, the Big Walnut Schools will
strive to achieve our vision of:
- Student-focused, professional, collaborative staff
- Student-focused , challenging and current curriculum
- Supportive, involved and informed community
- Safe, respectful and welcoming environment.
DUTIES OF THE SCHOOL BOARD
- Making rules and regulations necessary for the government of the school district
- Making sure all students of the district are provided with educational opportunities
- Appointing a school superintendent and electing a treasurer
- Overseeing the annual budget
- Entering into contracts with all personnel in the manner required by Ohio laws.
BIG WALNUT BOARD OF EDUCATION PROTOCOLS
The Big Walnut Board of Education meetings will be held the second and third Thursday's of every month as regular meetings. The first meeting of the month will commence at 7:30 a.m. and the second meeting of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the District Administrative Office, located at 110 Tippett Court, Sunbury - with the following exceptions:
- June - 3rd Thursday of month 6/18 @ 7:30 a.m. & 4th Thursday of the month 6/25 @ 6:30 p.m.
- July - 3rd Thursday of the month only 7/23 @ 6:30 p.m.
- December - 1st Thursday of month 12/3 7:30 a.m. & 2nd Thursday of the month 12/10 6:30 p.m.
The public is encouraged to attend these important meetings. Occasionally, the Board will hold a special meeting when district matters need immediate attention. Upon request to the Superintendent/Treasurer, the District shall make reasonable accommodation for a disabled person to be able to participate in this activity.
Please note: Board agendas and minutes are posted on this page as well. Agendas are posted until the minutes are approved at the next scheduled meeting; then the agenda is replaced with the approved minutes.
Meetings of the Board are open to the public, except for executive sessions during which Board members may discuss only three types of business as defined by the Ohio law. These are personnel matters, sale or purchase of property, and legal matters. Since Ohio law states that all school board voting must be done in public, executive sessions are for discussion purposes only.
Board of Education Meetings During COVID-19 Closure
You will be able to stream our Board meetings
live by visiting bwls.net or you can also watch the live stream of the meeting
on our website. Our morning meetings are typically more discussion, with
the majority of action items occurring during our evening meetings. If you
can’t join us live, the meetings will be posted on our website so you can view
them at a later time.
At each meeting, the Board of Education allows
for members of the community to speak for up to three minutes to the
Board. It is not intended to be a question-and-answer session, but an
opportunity to address the Board during their business meeting. If you
would like to have comments (750 words or less) read during the meeting, please
email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. the evening prior to the meeting. Please use
the subject line: Board Meeting Public Participation. Any
comments submitted after that time will be held for the following meeting.
As always, if you do have questions, please
email, and we are happy to answer them. Board member and administrator
email addresses can be found at bwls.net.
We hope you can join us online!
BIG WALNUT BOARD POLICY
- Board Policy Manual hosted by NEOLA