The mission of the Big Walnut Local Schools is to inspire and guide each student to his or her maximum potential.
In order to accomplish our mission, the Big Walnut Schools will strive to achieve our vision of:
- Student-focused, professional, collaborative staff
- Student-focused, challenging and current curriculum
- Supportive, involved and informed community
- Safe, respectful and welcoming environment.
DUTIES OF THE SCHOOL BOARD
- Making rules and regulations necessary for the government of the school district
- Making sure all students of the district are provided with educational opportunities
- Appointing a school superintendent and electing a treasurer
- Overseeing the annual budget
- Entering into contracts with all personnel in the manner required by Ohio laws.
BIG WALNUT BOARD OF EDUCATION PROTOCOLS
The Big Walnut Board of Education meetings will be held on the second and third Thursdays of every month as regular meetings. The first meeting of the month will commence at 7:30 a.m. The second meeting of the month will be held at 6:30 p.m. Both meetings will be located at the District Administrative Office located at 110 Tippett Court, Sunbury - with the following exceptions:
- June - 3rd Thursday of month (6.18) at 7:30 a.m. & 4th Thursday of the month (6.25) at 6:30 p.m.
- July - 4th Thursday of the month only (7.23) at 6:30 p.m.
- December - 1st Thursday of month (12.3) 7:30 a.m. & 2nd Thursday of the month (12.10) 6:30 p.m.
Meetings of the Board are open to the public, and we encourage our community members to attend. Executive sessions, during which Board members may discuss only three types of business as defined by the Ohio law, are the only sessions closed to the public. These are personnel matters, sale or purchase of property, and legal matters. Since Ohio law states that all school board voting must be done in public, executive sessions are for discussion purposes only. Occasionally, the Board will hold a special meeting when District matters need immediate attention. Upon request (to the Superintendent/Treasurer), the District shall make reasonable accommodations for a disabled person to be able to participate in this activity.
Please note: Board agendas and minutes are posted on this page as well. Agendas are posted until the minutes are approved at the next scheduled meeting, then the agenda is replaced with the approved minutes.
VIRTUAL BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS DURING COVID-19 CLOSURE
Due to COVID-19, any Board meeting or Board member may be virtual at any time. You will be able to stream our Board meetings live by visiting the bwls.net homepage. Our morning meetings are typically more discussion-based, with the majority of action items occurring during our evening meetings. If you can’t join us live, the meetings will be posted on our website. At each meeting, the Board of Education allows for community members to speak for up to 3 minutes to the Board. It is not intended to be a question-and-answer session, but an opportunity to address the Board during their business meeting. If you would like to have comments (750 words or less) read during the meeting, please email them to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. the evening prior to the Board meeting. Please use the subject line: Board Meeting Public Participation. Any
comments submitted after that time will be held for the following meeting. As always, if you have questions, please
email. Board member and administrator
email addresses can be found here on our website.
BOARD MEMBERS' TERMS:
Board members serve four-year terms, which are staggered. All seats are at-large.
Terms expiring at the end of 2021 (seats on this November's ballot):
Terms expiring at the end of 2023 (seats on the November 2023 ballot):
BIG WALNUT BOARD POLICY
- Board Policy Manual hosted by NEOLA